[pmwiki-users] Image markup (Was: viewing uploaded images)

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sat Jun 30 13:54:12 CDT 2007

On Saturday 30 June 2007, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >> You have tu write
> >>
> >>     Attach:filename.jpg
> >>
> >> and not
> >>
> >>     [[Attach:filename.jpg]]
> >>

> >> The first way (without brackets) works fine for me.
> >> The second way generates a link to the image.
> >
> > PmWiki's general rule of thumb is that anything in [[...]] generates a
> > link (or link target).
>
> This is actually a bit confusing. Even as a long time user it happens
> relatively often that I expect [[...]] to result in an image. Phrased
> differently, it's not so intuitive having to do:
>
>  	[[Attach:some image name.jpg | Attach:some image name.jpg]]
>
> I don't have a better suggestion though... it makes sense that a [[...]]
> should always produce a link.
>
> Here's how I often use images:
>
>  	%center width=50pct%\
>  	[[Attach:some image name.jpg | \
>            Attach:some image name.jpg"This is the image title!"]]\
>  	[[<<]]
>
> My problem with it is that it's a bit long, and difficult to remember.
> It's especially bothersome when the image URI is long.
>
> Maybe some better/dedicated markup for doing something along these lines
> would be easier. I think the markup achieves the following:
>
> * The result is an image
> * The image is horizontally adjusted (less important)
> * It should be easy to change the size of the image
>    (typically making it smaller)
> * Clicking on the image should show you the full immage
> * There should be a way to add a title
>
> This way of rescaling the image is inefficient for large images, so maybe
> some gallery-like cacheing mechanism ought to be included.
>
> This is all just some thoughts/comments regarding how to deal with images,
> in case there are other users who'd like to discuss this.
>
> /Christian

There are several recipes for picture galleries within PmWiki. For example
ThumbList [1] can do smaller versions (thumbnails) of bigger pictures and the
markup, corresponding to yours above, for 200 pixels thumb width, would be:

   (:thumb "some image name.jpg" align=center width=200
   titlefmt="This is the image title!" captionfmt="A caption below":)

Most of the parameters can be set default in config.php and you can actually
have just:

   (:thumb file.jpg captionfmt="View from Paris":)

Thanks,
Petko

[1] http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ThumbList