[pmwiki-users] alter page layout of content

sti at pooq.com sti at pooq.com
Fri Jun 29 13:47:10 CDT 2007

Alan Loughlin wrote:

> Is there a way to have a page's content be ordered in different ways?
>
> For example can I have one page with some links that have meta data
> associated like ID and name on each and then these links are ordered
> depending on the address that the end user clicks on. Like
> pmwiki?n=group.page?listby=ID
>
> Main reason for asking is I don't want to have to duplicate the list
> several times with different pages for different orders or to have to
> have these links in a database.

Its possible, but would take some work. What you would need to do is have the
link display page generate the list of links using the pagelist feature. There
is an option for pagelist to accept sort parameters in the URL so the same
display page could generate the list in different orders (or even different
subsets of the list).

Of course, in order to use pagelist, you need to have a set of pages to list,
 so you'd probably want to create a series of pages in a Links (or
ExternalLinks) group, with one link and its associated meta-data stored in
each page (using page text variables). You'd also need to create a custom
pagelist template to pull out the values from these pages and format them for
display.

None of this is terribly difficult but it can be confusing to tackle all at
once if you're new to PmWiki. But, if you get stuck, the list will be more
than happy to help out.