[pmwiki-users] undelete recipe

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Mon Jun 18 13:08:00 CDT 2007

Hi, folks.  I'm thinking of writing a new recipe (independent of
DataQuery, ZAP, et al.) to facilitate restoring deleted pages.  Here are
the specifications I'm considering.  Please let me know if you have
anything to add.

* Recipe will work with the default PmWiki deletion scheme, where
deleted pages are named Group.Name-del0123456, where 0123456 is a UNIX
timestamp.

* Deleted pages will continue to be hidden from unprivileged users.

* Users with admin privileges will be able to pagelist (search) and view
deleted records.  (Most likely I'll accomplish this with a new PageStore
object.)

I haven't decided on the process for restoring deleted records.  I guess
I envision that when you edit a deleted record, its contents go into the
editor for the _undeleted_ page... that is, if you edit
Group.Name-del0123456, you will find yourself editing Group.Name, so
that simply saving the changes will restore the page.  But then if a
page with that name exists, the contents of the two will need to be
merged, like two users edit the same page at once, so that you can
resolve any discrepancies between the two versions before saving.

Does that sound good?  Any suggestions about how I should go about it?
Thanks in advance.  --Ben S.