[pmwiki-users] Main Group - what to do

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jun 16 00:03:48 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 04:35:23PM +1200, Simon wrote:
>    As part of the 2.2.0 finalisation
>    can I suggest that all the pages in the main group, viz
>
>    Results of search for group=main:
>
>    Main /
>            AboutThisSite Main group (Deprecated)
>            AllRecentChanges
>            ApprovedUrls
>            Blocklist
>            GroupAttributes
>            HomePage
>            RecentChanges
>            RULA (this page is password protected)
>            SideBar
>            WikiSandbox
>
>    be deleted, except perhaps HomePage and WikiSandBox.

Do you mean on pmwiki.org?  Okay, with a wave of my magic wand, I've
now eliminated all but the following on pmwiki.org:

    Main.HomePage
    Main.WikiSandbox
    Main.AboutThisSite      (linked from LightSkin, common wiki convention)
    Main.GroupAttributes    (to keep people from setting passwords on Main.* pages)

>    Personally I'd like to see the entire group deprecated.
>
>    On a related note,
>    could the PmWiki Main group please be password protected for edit,
>    I think too much time is being wasted despamming it

One of the main features of pmwiki.org is that people can actually try
editing pages directly on the site and see that everything works, and
typically that happens in the Main group.  I wouldn't want to lose this.

However, if it's really a problem we could see about adding a feature that
clears Main automatically and periodically.  Beyond that, I'm not too worried
about pages in Main being spammed, or about those pages being cleaned up
quickly if they are spammed.

I'd say leave Main alone for a bit, and if it looks like we're getting too
much spam there I'll come up with an automatic Main cleaner of some
sort.  :-)

Thanks!