[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: SiteAdmin group migration

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 15 17:35:44 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 12:26:28AM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > In order to not color peoples' first impressions too much, I don't
> > want to say much more about it here.  Instead, I hope that people
> > will try the demonstration site and give feedback on any problems or
> > confusion encountered, and what it might need for a release.
>
> Hello Patrick.
>
> I tested it and it seems to work fine. Observations:
>
> 1. If the user clicks on "Return to http://ww..." without performing the
> upgrade, he gets the same page. I'd expect it to let me see the site, and do
> the upgrade later.

It's not safe to do or allow this (continue on to see the site,
complete upgrade later).

When the upgrade notice appears, it's generally going to be because
Site.AuthUser, Site.Blocklist, or one of the other pages are no
longer "active" on the site.  If we somehow allow someone to
proceed beyond this point, they may be able to affect pages
that the administrator felt were locked.

> So, either this (probably a cookie/session variable and
> display the form every two minutes), or remove the link.

I'll see about removing the link.

> 3. It may be written in the same upgrade page that to keep
> using the old pages and not change anything, one can set
>
>     $SiteAdminGroup = $SiteGroup;
>
> if the user cannot connect to the help page at pmwiki.org (from behind a
> firewall or does not wish to read the docs).

I don't want to put _too_ much detail into the upgrade script
itself -- it just bloats the code (and the distribution).

> 4. What is the probability of PmWiki sites running just out of
> the box, with the default locked password? They shouldn't
> have any settings in the pages we need to move, so can we
> just consider them upgraded?

Sites that don't have any of the pages that need relocating
aren't affected by this.  The upgrade block appears _only_ for
sites that have existing pages that need to be relocated.
New sites, and sites that aren't (yet) using any of the
relocated Site pages end up with a normal (silent) upgrade.