[pmwiki-users] Report on Various Skins.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jun 5 23:29:05 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 03:47:33PM -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> I gather that PM has to do something to enable them, so I'm making a list here
> of the ones that seem to need enabling.

Thanks!  My comments for each are below.

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BarthelmeSkin
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BlueBerrySkin
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewsPaperSkin
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimplaSkin
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SinorcaSkin

All of the above are now enabled on pmwiki.org.

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NotebookSkin

I haven't enabled this one, because the instructions say it depends
on another recipe (InfoBox) and I'm not sure how they fit together.

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimpleTabSkin
> A) For SimpleTabSkin, I had to change $PubDirUrl in the .tmpl file to
> $FarmPubDirUrl to make it work in my farm. It should actually be using
> $SkinDirUrl instead, so it would work anywhere.

Correct, using $SkinDirUrl is far preferable here.

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PmWiki2Bars
> B) For PmWiki2Bars I was surprised that it expects to be unzipped in the main
> pmwiki directory, while most skins expect to be unzipped in the pub/skins
> directory.

Agreed, it would be nice if it unpacked to pmwiki2bars/ instead of
pub/skins/pmwiki2bars/ .  Now enabled on pmwiki.org .

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarathonSkin
> C) MarathonSkin expects to find a Main.TopNav and a Main.SideBar page which
> don't exist. The Main.SideBar should be changed to Site.SideBar, and a
> Site.TopNav should be supplied via a local wikilib.d file.

This skin is fairly old -- early 2005 (while PmWiki 2.0 was still in
development).  As far as I know it hasn't been updated at all to
match the way things turned out in the 2.0 release.

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Notebook2Skin (may not be safe to enable!)
> D) The Notebook2skin has a message on its page about a javascript injection
> bug. I haven't determined if its been fixed or not.

I haven't enabled this skin due to the possibility of the Javascript
injection, nor have I really investigated it to see if it exists or is
a real problem.

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SchlaeferTwoSkin
> E) The SchlaeferTwoSkin contains some extraneous Mac OSX files in its zip
> archive, and its old enough to use Main everywhere instead of Site.

Correct, it also needs to be updated to use the Site group, and to
eliminate the __MACOSX directories in the zip file.

> Most of the above fixes would be easy enough for me to make (except that I
> don't know javascript, so I can't debug it), but I don't want to step on any
> toes. Does anyone know which of the above skins have been abandoned by their
> creators?

PmWiki2Bars is a new skin, so its creator can make the fix.
Most of the other skins haven't been updated since 2005, so I think
it's probably okay if you (or someone) updates them to the latest
standards and republishes them.

Thanks again -- this really helped!