[pmwiki-users] Simultaneous edit didn't work on concurrent click

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jun 4 16:49:53 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:37:43PM +0000, Kar Leong wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was testing the simultaneous edit feature using 2 client workstations,
> where I clicked on the save buttons of the 2 browsers at the same time.
> However, PmWiki did not flag out the expected simultaneous edit warning
> message on either of the browser.

Odd.  Very odd.

> Instead, the two browsers both displayed one
> of the two versions of the edit, and the other version just got lost.
> But if I click on the Save button one browser at a time, then I could
> see the expected warning message saying someone has edited the text
> and so on... Am I missing out something, or is the simultaneous edit
> function based on some sorts of timing information, and if so, what
> is the granularity of the time resolution?

The granularity of the time resolution is 1 second... however,
that 1 second resolution is for time between requesting
?action=edit and pressing the Save button, not the time between
two posts.

In other words, the only way that one could "beat" the resolution
timer would be for person A to request a page for editing during
the same second that person B is saving a page.  If that occurs,
then person B's changes might be lost.

But, if A and B both request pages for editing, do some edits,
and then each press "Save" simultaneously, PmWiki is supposed to
be able to handle that, such that one posting takes place normally
and the other person gets a warning that a simlutaneous edit took
place.

A couple of questions:
  - what version of PmWiki?
  - is there a url where I could test this for myself?
  - what OS and webserver software is the server using?