[pmwiki-users] subscribing for Site/NotifyList via a text form - or other ways

Vince Administration vadmin at math.uconn.edu
Sun Jun 3 10:33:35 CDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Philippe Boeraeve wrote:

> Vince Administration <vadmin <at> math.uconn.edu> writes:
>

>> Martin,
>> I am working on something similar, in that I want a user to be able
>> to put himself on the Notify List.
>> What I do is use the trail option to point to the users own  Profile
>> page, where he can then set up a list of
>> pages to be Notified about. Since each user on  my site must login,
>> and it is easy for him to set up
>> a Profile page which only he can edit (thanks Hans), the security
>> implications seem minimal.
>>
>> Vince
>>
> Vince,
>
> I am also working on that and I have 2 questions related to your
> answer:
>
> 1)How do you fill automatically the Site.NotifyList with his e-mail
> and trail to
> the profiles file?
> 2)Which login recipe do you use?
>
> regards
>
> Philippe

First #2:  I use AuthUser,  and access is limited to people with
accounts on our system. So I have a valid $AuthID,
which comes from Apache.
Then the easy part: our email addresses are all
$AuthId at ourdomain.edu,  and the profile pages are
Profiles.$AuthId.   This answers part of #1. The rest is that I do
not use Site.NotifyList, but add to the config.php file:
$EnableNotify = 1;
$NotifyList[] = "notify=$AuthId at ourdomain.edu trail=Profiles.$AuthId";

Actually I use the per group configuration files, and add this, along
with other appropriate parameters for the group pages.
So then all the user has to do is edit his Profile to put in the trail.

I have not tried this, but I suppose that it would be possible to
have the user set his email address as a PTV in the profile,
and then read it somehow, but I have not needed this. There have been
some messages about how to read PageTextVariables
from PHP.

If you have any more questions, please ask.
              Vince