[pmwiki-users] UA2 and profile rule, with an idea on how to handle personal user settings

ThomasP pmwikidev at sigproc.de
Sat Jun 2 08:48:11 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 07:14, IchBin wrote:

> Thanks Thomas, as it turns out, I did what you just mention already by
> chance. I will fool around with your example.
>
> - I still have a big question mark about the use of term "parent" in the
> context of creating a new user or @group. What are the OOD implications.
> I have not been able to find any docs on this for UserAuth2.

The idea that in the end leads to a parent being defined for each
user/group is the capability of the module to support delegation of
administrative tasks. The main ideas are explained at

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/UserAuth2/Help - Section "Delegation mechanism"

and in my mail

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/42957/

Basically, there has to be some hierarchy among the users, and therefore
something like a parent is defined. The main implication is: a user has
never more rights than his parent. (Details in the texts above; note that
"admin" has all rights.)

Hope this helps.

> - Is UserAuth2 suppose to be compatible with presence-v1.1 as it now is
> with presence-light-v1.0 but then already asked this question in another
> thread here yesterday.

Yes, that seems to have slipped through my response. As of now UA2 and
PresenceAwareness are not supposed to be compatible by intention. I would
make changes to UA2 to assure compatibility if they are straightforward,
but have no overview of what they would have to be. (Again I would rather
leave this to someone else.)

[Conceptionally better would be probably adapting PresenceAwareness though
- the functionality there should not depend upon the auth module, at least
not on its internal data structures. Defining some interface functions?]

Thomas