[pmwiki-users] Shrinking uploaded images...

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sun Jul 29 11:54:31 CDT 2007

On Sunday 29 July 2007, Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Sunday 29 July 2007, Mike Shanley wrote:
> > I've been looking around for a way to shrink uploaded images as they
> > come. The reason is that I've just installed the thumblist recipe for a
> > friend's page, but it throws a 500 error when thumbnailing an image that
> > is about 1280x1024.
> >
> > I'm hoping that there's some hidden recipe somewhere, because I can't
> > just tell her to shrink the pics herself. She NEEDs the quality high for
> > her purposes.
> Here is what you can do:
> * try the "threaded mode" with $ThumbThread=1;
> * set more memory for PHP (in php.ini, change "memory_limit = 64M" for
> example)

I released a new Thumblist version which can use ImageMagick, if properly
instructed. It can hopefully handle much bigger pictures than PHP-GD can (and
should work even if GD is not installed). It works very successfully, much
faster seems to me, and with much less server load at galleries.accent-bg.com
where it is now enabled for all galleries.

Note that under "PHP Safe mode" you may be unable to use convert, read this
page[1] for tips. Note that this configuration is intended for very advanced
administrators. On most shared/cheap hostings it will not work.

Feedback welcome.
Petko

[1] http://qdig.sourceforge.net/Support/PHPSafeMode