[pmwiki-users] Automatically add anchors to heading tags?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 13:01:09 CDT 2007

--- Mike Shanley <thebarmy at omniversalism.com> wrote:
> H. Fox wrote:
> > On 7/25/07, Mike Shanley
> <thebarmy at omniversalism.com> wrote:
> >> I really, really, really don't like the idea of
> using the titles as
> >> anchors, because of how much you lose.
> > How much do we lose? Can you be specific about
> what is lost by using
> > headings as anchors?  Maybe I'm missing
> something...
> Basically, it's a matter of simplicity. I am under
> the impression that
> no special characters will transfer, no special
> formatting within the
> text will be allowed, and then there's always the
> danger of just how
> many misspellings and changed headings will ruin our
> best laid plans.
>
> Remember that people are not going to see that the
> anchor text is
> slightly different from the heading itself... By
> itself, this reduces
> it's usefulness to, basically, just people
> in-the-know.

This doesn't seem that much different than pagenaming.
 With its advantages and disadvantages, not many
people would argue for sequentially numbering pages
instead of names would they?

Perhaps the link code could be extended to look for
existing/non-existing anchors in pages and display
links to non-existing anchors slightly differently
making misspelled anchors more obvious?

-Martin