[pmwiki-users] Monospace-Text and buffer size problem.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 13:29:06 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 10:58:41AM -0600, Nelson Ingersoll wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   PmWiki novice here.
>
>   I am creating a PmWiki based knowledge base for work.  I am running
> pmwiki-2.2.0-beta60.  Yes, I know this is the bleeding edge.  I am an
> experienced computer engineer.  My thoughts are if not me, who?; and, if
> not now, when?

Actually, pmwiki-2.2.0-beta isn't all that bloody at the moment --
we're nearing a stable release.  I highly recommend that all new
sites start with 2.2.0-beta (and I'm probably going to add a note
to the Download and other pages to this effect, if not simply
convert 2.2.0-beta to say "2.2.0").

>    I have a largish text file, about 311KB, which is a highly formatted
> ASCII document.  For those in the know it is a Bachman Diagram of a
> hierarchical database I work on/with.  I read that I can use "[@
> ..text.. @] to display the text in the way it was written to be
> displayed.  However, when I try to display the text all I see is a blank
> page.

My best guess is that you're running PHP 5.2.0 or later, and that
it's therefore running into the pcre.backtrack_limit that was
introduced into that release.

Try adding the following to your local/config.php file and see
if it fixes the problem:

    ini_set('pcre.backtrack_limit', 1000000);

This will allow PHP's preg_* functions to work on much larger
strings than the default (100K).

Hope this helps,