[pmwiki-users] Cookbook subversion repository

Martin Spindler spindler at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jul 20 02:42:31 CDT 2007

Hi there,

I am really interested in a cookbook-svn-repository (although I am more
a receipe user than a receipe author). A 'skin/' directory would be
great to.

>>     But I don't quite see that it will be straightforward
>>     for people to keep recipes up-to-date by a simple
>>     "svn update".
>>
> No, I expect they'd have to do it for each recipe they're interested in.

Are you aware of the svn:externals property [1]? This can be used to
create links to external subversion repositories. Using this feature,
you only need to set up your own subversion repository, create a
'Cookbook' folder and add links to all the  receipes you are interested in.

# the general set-up would be something like this:
 > svn checkout https://my-subversion-server.com/trunk/MyHomePage
 > cd MyHomePage
 > svn mkdir Cookbook
 > svn propedit svn:externals Cookbook
# an editor pops up allowing you to specify all the receipes you are
interested in
# the format is something like this:
Receipe1 https://pmwiki-svn-server.org/trunk/Cookbook/Receipe1
Receipe2 https://pmwiki-svn-server.org/trunk/Cookbook/Receipe2
# now you only need to save the changes and to exit the editor
# and commit with 'svn commit'

Now, you just need to 'svn update' and all receipes are updated
automatically.

>> 4.  How to synchronize changes between the cookbook repository
>>     and the online cookbook?
>>
> Agreed, this is tricky.

You could probably use the svn:externals property for this problem, too.

I hope, that encourages you to set up a cookbook/skin subversion
repository :-)

Cheers,
Martin.
[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html