[pmwiki-users] Cookbook subversion repository

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 19 11:04:13 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:49:03AM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 7/19/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >I'm looking into the possibility of building
> >a subversion repository for cookbook recipes
> >and I have some questions:
>
> Sorry for not being very informed, but could someone give a brief idea
> how subversion's work, and how hard they are to use? I'd be
> interested, though don't really know what is involved.

You might start with:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_%28software%29

Essentially, Subversion is a version control system -- it allows
multiple developers to coordinate changes to a common code library.
It takes care of keeping track of all versions of the library,
as well as helping to resolve conflicts when two people are working
on the same component at the same time.

I use Subversion to maintain the PmWiki codebase, but as yet
there's only one "committer" (me).  If/when we have others who
want to directly modify the PmWiki core code, then I can set
up accounts so that others can contribute changes directly to
the repository.

Cookbook recipes that end up with multiple maintainers and
contributors could potentially use a Subversion repository
to coordinate changes and patches among the multiple authors.

Note that in suggesting that we have a repository available
I'm *not* suggesting that we remove the existing cookbook
mechanisms.  I still want people who don't have access to or
experience with Subversion to be able to contribute recipe scripts.