[pmwiki-users] Tri-Linguality with columns?

Torsten Philipp TorstenPhilipp at gmx.net
Mon Jul 16 09:42:22 CDT 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:32:58 +0300
Von: Algardas <alglt at yahoo.com>
An: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
Betreff: Re: [pmwiki-users] Tri-Linguality with columns?

>On the other hand, a wiki could do the opposite of complicating things.
>If the layout is as simple to understand as you proposed with the table >layout or even simpler, made with custom markup, e.g.
>(:langbegin:)
>(:en:) english text
>(:de:) german text
>(:fr:) french text
>(:langend:)

>then a german speaking user, seeing a page with english and french columns >filled, but with a german one empty, could be tempted to translate...

Hello Algardas,

that was exactly what I was thinking in the beginning too.

When I read your post I thought of another interesting solution: a scenario where each user can choose if and how many languages he wants to have articles in on one page. A Southafrican who speaks e.g. English and Africaans might want to have information in both languages and could also translate articles that exist in English into Africaans. Another Indian expat living in Southafrica who speaks Africaans and Hindi could then translate it to Hindi.

Well that still seems a bit further down the road than a fixed tri-ingual solution and even further away than an english only version.

But I will check out the table and custom markup solutions which might take a while since I'm still a bit stiff with this wiki things ;)

many thanks,
Torsten

--

Free Music Podcast - http://www.freemusicpodcast.de/