[pmwiki-users] Quotes and dashes...

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sun Jul 8 10:52:58 CDT 2007

On Sunday 08 July 2007, Charles Little wrote:

> > symbols have been

> > actual ASCII

> > > PmWiki doesn't change the way symbols are formatted -- it must be
> > > something else that has caused the change.  Perhaps a recipe isn't
> > > working properly...?
> > >
> > > Is there a url where we could see the problem you're describing?
> >
> > http://wiki.gamera.cc
> >
> > If you view source, then look at the portion where the menu
> > is coded (around line 148), you will see the following:
> >
> > </li><li><a class='wikilink'
> > href='http://wiki.gamera.cc/index.php?n=TheNam.HomePage'>The
> > &lsquo;Nam</a>
> >
> > The markup for this entry is * [[The 'Nam/HomePage|The 'Nam]]
> >
> > Also at the bottom of the sidebar, I have an entry for the
> > beginner's guide... the text is marked up as:
> > href='http://wiki.gamera.cc/index.php?n=Main.BeginnersGuide'>B
> > eginner&rsquo;s
> > Guide</a><br />
> >
> > Let me know if have any other questions.
> >
> > Thanks!

> Forwarding this again as it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi.

I have experienced a similar problem, and it is not caused by pmwiki, but by
the browsers.

When the browser (Mozilla-clone, possibly others too) submits a form, it
checks if there are any characters outside the scope of the current code page
or encoding (in your case, iso8859-1) [1]. If it is the case, it will change
them to an &entity; variant, if available, and if not, will use the Unicode
number of the character, like &#2345;.

When most browsers display the page, there will be no problem, as the entity
will be shown as a character. However, some browsers may fail to display it,
and it seems to be your case. In my browser your page displays fine.

Additionally, when you have such an &entity; character inside a link target (a
page name), PmWiki may strip the "&" and ";" and will believe there is
another linked page.

To solve your problem you can do two things:

1. Use normal apostrophes instead of back-ticks or other symbols: "The 'Nam"
instead of "The `Nam". These symbols may appear without your knowledge if you
are using a word processor instead of the wiki text areas.

2. Upgrade your site to Unicode (utf-8). This will allow much more characters
in page names. Note that this is a very advanced topic (knowledge and
experience needed) as it may be very difficult or impossible to upgrade if
you have many pages.

Some day there will be a recipe that will automatically convert the while site
from an obsolete encoding to UTF-8, but not in the nearest future.

Thanks,
Petko

[1] To see which characters are available in iso8859-1, visit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO8859-1 . Others *will* be translated to
entities or Unicode codepoints.