[pmwiki-users] web hosting questions / offtopic

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 29 09:14:51 CST 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 10:26:54AM -0500, Russ Fink wrote:
> Can someone please point me to a reputable provider that offers the kinds of
> things PmWiki needs - I'm still tweaking the CSS and would like to have SSH
> access, and also I'm using some rewrite recipe so I'd like .htaccess as
> well.  I don't want to resort to virtual servers.  (I read Patrick's thread
> from 2005 when he went to apollo hosting, but the lower end plans from
> apollo are somewhat spartan.)

FWIW, I left apollo hosting six months after I started with them
and wouldn't recommend them any longer.

Of course, my needs are somewhat different than the average person
looking for web hosting services, in that I really need something
along the lines of a virtual private server more than a simple
low-end webhosting account.  What I finally learned from my experience
with apollo hosting (and the other services before them) is that
if I want higher-end service, I should go with a company that
specializes in higher-end service.  What I kept encountering was
that my support requests would take days to process because their
front-line support was geared towards handling the low-end accounts,
and my requests always got a response of "we're sending your request
to Tier 2, you should have an answer within 72 hours".

I'm currently with powervps.com, which only does virtual private
servers and dedicated servers.  If someone needs VPS, I'm happy
with them thus far (but I keep thinking I may want to go to a
dedicated server soon).