[pmwiki-users] web hosting questions / offtopic

Ben Stallings Ben at InterdependentWeb.com
Sun Jan 28 16:52:10 CST 2007

I steer my clients toward http://thinkhost.com when they'll listen,
because it's the only hosting company I know that's powered by renewable
energy.  Sure, it's a PR gimmick, but it's also a gift that keeps on
giving... my clients get to claim their sites are sustainable, and I get
to claim my clients' sites are sustainable, and if we keep some CO2 out
of the air, so much the better.  Also they give free hosting to a lot of
nonprofits, in exchange for a tax deduction.  I have no complaints about
their service.

My more cost-conscious clients are at http://dreamhost.com because I can
resell hosting to them out of my account at $2/month and still make a
profit.  DreamHost had some reliability issues a year ago but has been
very reliable since then.  I've been with them long enough that they
give me "unlimited" domains, disk space, and bandwidth ... I know
Kathryn said that's a bad sign, but I've had no trouble.

Both these services provide SSH access to a command line with
subversion, which is very useful for upgrading PmWiki!  I wouldn't buy a
hosting service without a command line, but that's just me!  --Ben