[pmwiki-users] PageList Project

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sat Jan 27 20:56:47 CST 2007

On 1/21/07, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> The Editor said...
> > I really didn't like mailman's approach and ended up using a rather
> > creative system that makes it easier for an individual to take care of
> > their subscriptions.  When they visit the newsletter mgmt site, it
> > asks them to simply enter an email address, and forwards them to an
> > authentication page.  There, they enter  simple passcode emailed them
> > (a random number) to verify ownership of the email.  Once verified,
> > they are forwarded to a subscriptions page which dynamically shows all
> > current subscriptions, and lets them add or drop subscriptions at the
> > click of a button.  Pass codes are only valid for 20 minutes and are
> > tied to specific emails. I think most users will find it much simpler
> > to use than mailman. Let me know if anyone sees any problems in this
> > setup.
>
> IME, you might hit a problem with this. Sometimes emails become stuck in
> the system, for a variety of reasons, so time limiting an update code
> will mean folk having to repeat the process, possibly more than once.
> That kind of event can drive folk away.
>
> An alternative approach is to email the update details as parameters to
> a URL and embed this in an email. The user then only has to click the
> link to update their details. Something like:
>
> http://www.example.com/Site/ChangeEmailConfirmation?hash=
> 0e8fc8eafd8506101171031c52d6502b&email=fred%40spammaster.com
>
> (Generate the hash by something like:
>    $hash = md5($newemail.$hiddenHash);)
>
> This method never times out.

Thanks for the idea Marc.  I don't know much about this hash idea, and
will read up on it a bit and see what I can come up with.  Though I
must admit, I'm not so sure I like the idea of them never timing
out...

As for the 20 minutes setting, that's just a configurable option that
can be set to anything.  Could just as easily set it for the big 86400
seconds or whatever.

Cheers,
Dan