[pmwiki-users] Search box on PmWiki.org

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 24 15:12:25 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 06:57:03PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Wednesday, January 24, 2007, 6:39:14 PM, Patrick wrote:
>
> > What if there are multiple search terms?
>
> in the case of name=*term* it may be best to use name=*"term"*
>
> Maybe this is not good for pmwiki, but I am interested if there is a
> way to input a searchterm and have name=*searchterm* implemented in
> the search instead. Perhaps even jump to the page if it exists.

Actually, I'm sorta thinking that perhaps we want a way to
apply the search terms to any page variable, and not just
the page's name.  By default the search terms are tested
against the page's text, targets, and name.  But we could
provide an option that explicitly identifies the field(s?)
to test against (I'm using "terms=" below, but could
use a better name):

    ## look for search terms only in page titles
    (:searchresults terms=$Title:)

    ## look for search terms only in page names
    (:searchresults terms=$FullName:)

    ## look for search terms only in Status: lines
    (:searchresults terms=$:Status:)

We really would need a better name than "terms=" however.
The idea is that we're taking the terms entered in a searchbox
and applying them to some page variable or attribute other
than the page's text (which is currently the default).

If we do this, then our Site.Search page can look something like:

    (:searchbox:)

    (:if ...userrequestedsearch... :)

    Pages containing search terms in title
    (:pagelist terms=$Title:)