[pmwiki-users] Announce: Slender, pmwiki-based wiki making a fresh start

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 24 10:41:56 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 11:27:00PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 04:17:07PM -0500, Henrik wrote:
> >>   Re [[<<]]
> >>
> >>   FWIW I use:
> >>
> >>   (:block-divider:) and (:block-spacer:) directives
> >
> >I hadn't really thought about using directives, but that's
> >definitely a possibility.
>
> I was going to suggest one of:
>
> 	[[\\]]		(similar to \\, but not the same)
> 	(:br:)
> 	(:nl:)		(maybe already taken for something?)
> 	(:clear=all:), (:clear=both:), (:clear=left:), (:clear=right:)

These are pretty nice.  I don't know if they're nice enough to
switch.

Yes, (:nl:) is already used for something -- it forces a newline
where one isn't present (but doesn't add a newline if one is present).
It's primarily used to make sure that there are newlines around
included content.

It's also likely that \\ is going to become a widely adopted
standard among wikis and blogs for "insert line break", although
I don't think it will have the clear=all semantic that [[<<]]
currently has.

> >But I think that nowadays the only time that [[<<]] is used is to skip
> >below any floating elements.  Perhaps a wikistyle would serve the same
> >purpose-- i.e.  %clear% would cause the current block to appear below
> >any floating content?
> >
> >   %clear% This text appears below the floating image.
>
> Shouldn't that be %clear=all%, possibly with %clear% as shorthand for
> %clear=all%? (Aren't there several options?)

We can have both %clear=all% and %clear%, yes.