[pmwiki-users] linebreaks and Creole

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sun Jan 21 06:14:28 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:21:39PM -0000, marc wrote:
> > Patrick R. Michaud said...
> > > Just to add another data point to this discussion:  The
> > > WikiCreole markup standard had (:linebreaks:) as the default
> > > behavior up to version 0.3 of the standard.
> > >

> > This is terrific news. I'll take Creole a bit more seriously now.
> >
> > I particularly liked the cited disadvantage of the change:
> >
> >   - requires additional markup in addresses and poetry
> >
> > Yup, them's some showstoppers!
>
> Actually, the need for linebreaks in addresses and poetry
> is exactly what led me to using '\\' to mean 'line break' --
> it's visually pretty clean.

As a LaTeX user '\\' is second nature for me, so I've no problem with
that. I've occasionally thought that it would be interesting to have
more LaTeX environment-like markup for PmWiki. But that's certainly not
a request, not is it a shortcoming in PmWiki, since divs/blocks and
wikistyles give us plenty to be going on with.

--
Cheers,
Marc