[pmwiki-users] Securing images

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Fri Jan 12 11:31:13 CST 2007

Petko's excellent TumbList recipe [1] works nice.
Now I'm stuck with a "basic", though relevant issue: security.

All the images are stored, either by ftp or the "upload" action, into
a /listing/uploads/ directory which is external to the pmwiki
install.[2][3]

Although the vast majority of images are to be displayed openly to the
world, there is a certain amount of pictures that would better be
shared just between family and friends, as well as some other
photographs that I would keep just for my own use.

Would it be an attainable goal?
If so, how could such a lock be built?[4]

Luigi

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ThumbList
[2] http://www.kirpi.it/listing/uploads/
[3] The /listing/ directory is fine as it allows a straight,
text-only, filesystem-like browsing of all the images, independent
from the wiki engine.
[4] After having read (and re-read) pages like
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Uploads
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SecureAttachments
I'm still uncertain on the ways to organize things.
If ever such things *can* be done...