[pmwiki-users] pagelist template brainstorming

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 19 14:00:58 CST 2007

Preface:  I'm vetoing many of christian's suggestions here,
not because they're bad suggestions, but because I think
they have the potential to cause more conflicts than we're
avoiding.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 08:52:59PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Prefixed by "list-":
>     (:list-options ... :)
>     (:list-first:)
>     (:list-each:)
>     (:list-last:)
>     (:list-first {=$Group}:)
>     (:list-last {=$Group}:)
>     (:list-nopages:)    or  (:pl-empty:)

Veto, because "list" already has too many alternate meanings
besides just "pagelist".  (The whole point of avoiding (:first:),
(:last:), etc. was that it would remove those names from the namespace,
I don't see that "list-" makes it any easier.)

> Prefixed by "item-":
>     (:item-options ... :)

Veto, because I'm already planning another use for "item", and
it's not pagelist.  Also, "item" is again too generic, what we're
doing is going through lists of _pages_, not lists of items.

> Or perhaps even prefixed by "listitem-":
>     (:listitem-options ... :)

Veto, there's a terminology conflict with the <li> tag in HTML.

> Finally, how about something along the following lines:
> 	(:template:)
> 	(:template first:)
> 	very beginning of the report
> 	(:template each:)
> 	each record in the report
> 	(:template last:)
> 	very end of the report
> 	(:template end:)

I don't want the (:template:) or (:template end:) tags --
these are already supplied/implied by the section anchors
that delimit the template (and I want to keep that syntax for
consistency with the way sections are marked for (:include:) ).

However, (:template first:)/(:template each:)/(:template last:)
have potential -- feel free to throw those into the mix on the
voting page as well if you're favorably inclined to them.