[pmwiki-users] pagelist template brainstorming

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 18 18:28:34 CST 2007

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 10:27:41PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> I think additional directives will make pagelists easer to use. But I'd
> prefer to not use (:first:), (:last:)  etc, and instead go with something
> like (:pagelist-first:), (:pagelist-last:). It's a bit longer to type, but
> you won't be doing it that often so I don't see it as a big problem.

I think it may be too long to type.

> What you gain is clarity - you won't start wondering what (:first:)
> would do when not related to a pagelist.

It displays as "(:first:)", of course.  Just as "(:pagelist-first:)"
will display as "(:pagelist-first:)" when not related to a pagelist.  :-)

I did think of the possibility of qualifying the directives somehow
to make it clear they were for pagelists...  but I didn't come up
with anything I liked better than the simple (:first:), (:each:),
and (:last:) choices.

> (I'm ignoring that the templates can also be used with searchresults)

Well, searchresults are just pagelists.

There's also a bit more to it than this... I'm running into
possibilities for using pagelist-like templates on things other
than pagelists, such as attachlist (but there are others).  So,
part of me thinks we may be better of sticking with the simple
(:first:)/(:each:)/(:last:) approach instead of trying
to explain (:pagelist-first:) vs. (:attachlist-first:) vs.
(:whatever-first:), etc.  In other words, the directives may
make sense in contexts other than pagelists, even if we don't
know what those contexts are yet.