[pmwiki-users] Keeping recipes up to date -- updated

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 16 18:13:17 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 04:18:12PM -0000, marc wrote:
> <snip>
> > Perhaps we should put a note about doing recipe checks into
> > the PmWiki.Upgrades page?
>
> In the spirit of having the data stored locally, have you considered
> storing the recipelist locally? So, say, displaying an appropriate page
> would automatically update from pmwiki.org, or if this fails (fopen()
> and curl), it falls back to allowing the admin to c&p the data from a
> displayed page into, say, Site.RecipeList.

Reading a local recipe list from Site.RecipeList is a good idea.

> In this way, at least the recipe version check will only require one
> version, rather than RecipeCheck or SiteAnalyzer, and you'll know that
> the process will always work (providing the recipelist page has been
> populated at least once).

Well, I think we still want two versions.  There's little reason
why SiteAnalyzer shouldn't go ahead and do a recipe check while
it's doing its thing, and using SiteAnalyzer doesn't require an
admin to install a separate RecipeCheck script anyway.  The data
needed to perform the check comes "for free" with the analyze.php
script.

If I had my choice between having admins run RecipeCheck or
SiteAnalyzer after an upgrade, I'd always pick SiteAnalyzer
because it can report on many more issues besides out-of-date
recipes, and we know that SiteAnalyzer will always have the
latest recipelist available.

But SiteAnalyzer doesn't help people whose sites are located behind
a firewall or are otherwise private... thus RecipeCheck exists to
help those sites pull information from the other direction.
So, we just need a way for people with private sites that also
cannot grab the recipelist... and copy+paste from pmwiki.org
into Site.RecipeList sounds like a good way to do that.