[pmwiki-users] Keeping recipes up to date -- updated

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 16 09:18:18 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:22:30AM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >Based on excellent feedback provided on the mailing list,
> >we now have an improved script for checking installed versions
> >of recipes and comparing those to what's listed on pmwiki.org.
>
> IMHO, a really nice improvement would be to allow the recipe to work
> without any direct internet access. My usual PmWiki configs are quasi
> exclusively lying on private networks with proxied access to the outer
> world usually denied.
> Therefore, I would find interesting to allow the recipe to act as a
> simple recipe lister when no comparison data source is available.

That's a thought.

> OTOH, it could be nice to also provide the stuff to manage our own
> Cookbook reference repository, configuring wikis with:
>
>  $RecipeListUrl = 'http://10.0.42.2/pmwiki/recipelist';
>
> ie., the recipelist generator [c|s]hould be included in the recipe itself:
>
>  $RecipeListUrl =
> 'http://10.0.42.2/wiki/Cookbook/RecipeCheck?action=recipelist';

...except that the generator has to have copies of all of the
relevant Cookbook pages from pmwiki.org in order to generate the
list.  Since a reference repository would need to be grabbing
Cookbook pages and scripts from pmwiki.org anyway, it seems like
it would be easy for the repository to grab a copy of the latest
recipelist file at the same time.  Then the individual wikis
could set:

    $RecipeListUrl = 'http://10.0.42.2/path/to/recipelist';

Or, if it's a wikifarm, one can just as easily do

    $RecipeListUrl = "$FarmD/cookbook/recipelist";

Yes, it's possible that someone might want to maintain a repository
that has a different set of recipes than pmwiki.org and therefore
want to generate a different recipelist... but I'm guessing that
isn't all that likely.  If someone is _really_ intending to build
a new repository that isn't just a mirror of pmwiki.org's Cookbook,
let me know so we can work on doing it correctly.

I don't have any real issue with releasing the code that generates
the recipelist, but it would be as an unsupported recipe.