[pmwiki-users] Speed tips?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 16 07:12:13 CST 2007

I have a personal wiki with about 2000 pages in it (golly, I didn't
realize there were *that* many) and some pages are very slow to load.
Yes, I am using pagelists quite heavily:
- in the sidebar to list all the groups
- on most pages to have a "grouptrail" (which is a pseudo Trail which
  links to the next and previous pages in that group)
- in some groups, most of the pages are just pagelists (which use
  link={*$FullName} like the Category group does)
- in most groups, the home-page of the group lists all the pages in that
  group
- I have quite a few custom pagelist templates (and I make use of
  page-text variables quite heavily)
- I have a few custom $SearchPatterns to help with the pagelists

Are there some tips for speeding things up?
If you say "don't use pagelists", then suggest something to use instead,
please?

I have tried to speed up the sidebar by making Main.GroupList which is
simply a trail-page which links to all the groups, and I'm using
trail=Main.GroupList to hopefully speed things up.

I tried to use StopWatch to get some idea of where the time is taken,
but all I got was

        $StopWatch

The documentation is inconsistent; I suspect that the interface has been
changed, and that neither of the two places I found reference to
StopWatch are correct any more (I am using PmWiki 2.2-beta31).

Would it be faster if:
- I stopped using pagelist templates and wrote formatting functions in
  PHP?  (as I gather was used before pagelist templates were introduced)
- I wrote sorting functions instead of sorting by page-text-variables?

Anything else?

Kathryn Andersen