[pmwiki-users] Greek Utf-8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 13 10:27:21 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 08:08:09AM -0800, Seth Cherney wrote:
> It just does not work.
>
> The page, even if declared, is still *not truly* encoded in utf-8.
> saxon will still have an error (browsers could care less, they
> dont work on the same low level processing as far as I can tell).
>
> Unless I have a header such as:

> <!DOCTYPE html
>     PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>     "xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>
> It is full of byte errors. (ie the server is outputing iso bytes, not utf-8).

Note that neither the webserver nor PmWiki do any form of
automatic character encoding conversions.  So, if the text was
originally entered and encoded as iso-8859-1, then that's
what PmWiki will output, even if the header says otherwise.

> PS:  any tips on converting between true utf-8 and the #nnn;
> sequence in ROSpatterns and/or in markups?  I will write a
> verbose if necessary, unless someone knows any type of command/shorthand.

I'm not certain which way you're wanting the translation to
go.  When saving a page, do you want utf-8 characters to be
converted into the &#nnn; counterparts, or vice-versa?