[pmwiki-users] Page List Degrades Performance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Feb 4 10:57:42 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:12:02AM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > You're correct, which is why I haven't been too thrilled thus far
> > with the idea of using pagelists for trail markups (as it would make
> > things slow).  But caching would seem to potentially solve a lot
> > of that.
>
> [pagelist caching]
> I know it's outside the PMwiki boundaries,
> but could really work.  Of course for the "poor" installations
> on virtual hosts who have very few "rights"  or very naive admins,
> -- for whom "crontab" is from Mars -- setting a  cron may not be
> an option, but, that kind of "weak" account
> with any ISP is getting more and more rare.

Just a note that in many ways PmWiki can act as its own cron,
by simply scheduling certain tasks to be performed when it's
invoked by a request of some sort.  This is how the notify list
capability works, for example.

In this case it's easy enough to do things with a simple cache --
i.e., PmWiki regenerates the pagelist cache "on demand" whenever
it detects that the existing cache may be out of date (e.g.,
because a page or customization has changed).