[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 3 23:12:36 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:34:02PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> I am not as up on all the ins and outs of the different options, but I
> like Tom's idea very well, and for the reasons he gave...  Maybe with
> this modification:
>
> >> pmwiki/
> >>       pmwiki.php (including pmwiki.php)
> >>       "core"/  (or could call the barn  =|:)>  )
> >>               scripts/
> >>               wikilib.d/
> >>               guiedit/
> >>               cookbook/ (for farm wide recipes)
> >>               skins/ (for farm wide skins)
> >>       "field"/  (instead of data)
> >>               wiki.d/
> >>               uploads/
> >>               temp/ (for working files)
> >>       "local"/
> >>               skins/ (from pub)
> >>               config/ (css and php)
> >>               cookbook/ (for field only recipes)
>
> The advantage to this is it makes farm installations simpler and more
> natural...

This seems to assume that we want all of our fields to be held in
subdirectories of the pmwiki root.  I have a number of
situations where field roots are actually owned by different
user accounts, and therefore cannot easily be subdirs of
the pmwiki/ directory.

It also looks weird that local/cookbook holds "field-only"
recipes -- it seems like that anything that is field-only
ought to be in the per-field directory, not in the farm's
local/ directory.  (Stated differently, every field ought
to have its own local/ .)

And as I responded to Tom's message earlier, we still have
the situation where web-accessible files are now spread out
across multiple directories, instead of being easily
centralized in a single pub/ url root.