[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sat Feb 3 15:41:40 CST 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 22:06, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Lots of (most?) PmWiki administrators aren't familiar with
> > Unix conventions, such as var/ .  I'd like something that's
> > going to be quickly understood even by people who are unaware
> > of the Unix meaning of "var/".
>
> ...and in saying that 'var/' might not be a good choice,
> I also agree that 'data/' or 'data.d/' might not be good

Hi!

A directory holding temporary files may be called "tmp" or "tmp.d", or
even ".tmp" (or even "temp.d") which is clear enough I believe.

How about:

 wiki.d/  (individual pages here)
 wiki.d/tmp/ (temporary files related to the pages

This will change nothing for current wikis, and all temporary files will be in
a separate directory.

My preference is that the wiki.d/ root directory stays named wiki.d/. If
necessary, the pages may be moved to another sub-directory like pages/ or
data/.

And I don't quite understand your worries about Safe mode, in safe mode the
php scripts *can* create writeable directories under the document root and in
the user's (site's) home directory. I've used three different hosting
providers in Safe mode and never had to manually create a directory. At one
place (free.fr) it was not possible to *unlink* directories but creating was
ok.

Petko