[pmwiki-users] New Hierarchical Groups Recipe...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 08:05:32 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:16:08PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Neil Herber (nospam) <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> > Someone made the comment earlier that they expected to see notation
> > something like Animals/Canine/Small/Black, and I agree with that
> > sentiment. Animals-Canine-Small/Black just looks wrong to me.
>
> The separator can be set to anything, "/" or "." , and it could
> *perhaps* be rewritten to use any of the three options...  However, I
> fear using one or the other of / or . would cause other problems, in
> that PmWiki *might* have problems recognizing the last part is a page
> name, and the other parts are collectively the page group.

Not only could it cause issues for PmWiki, but people would often
be confused by it as well.  Consider the urls:

    http://www.example.com/wiki/Animals
    http://www.example.com/wiki/Animals/Canine
    http://www.example.com/wiki/Animals/Canine/Small

It's pretty clear that the first one refers to Animals.HomePage .
But what about the second... is it referring to the Canine
page in the Animals group (i.e., Animals.Canine), or is it
referring to the home page of the group that has 'Small'
(Animals-Canine.HomePage)?  How would one distinguish the two?

This problem continues ad-infinitum, does
http://www.example.com/wiki/Animals/Canine/Small refer to a page
(Animals-Canine.Small) or a group (Animals-Canine-Small.HomePage)?