[pmwiki-users] Yet another blogging thingie

Andy Kaplan-Myrth andy at kaplan-myrth.ca
Mon Aug 20 12:41:48 CDT 2007

I'm following this thread with interest because I also think the
pagelist feature is now powerful enough to create a very usable blog.
I've been running mine using pagelists for a while now and I'm very
happy with it.

I'm writing to ask that any blog standard that develops *not* require
embedding creation date in the page names.

When I started out, I used one of the blogging scripts that named pages
with the creation date, but I really didn't like that -- it felt like
committing too much to the blog format, declaring each page as a blog
page. I much prefer finding a way to adapt any wiki page so it appears
in a blog-style listing, without defining each page as a blog post at
all (or minimally).

I use Tags for organization and categories for filtering -- I basically
have a personal blog and a professional blog on the same site, with
posts in either the personal or the professional category (or both) and
then various pages with pagelists filtering by the different categories.

So I create ordinary wiki pages, and the only thing I need to do to
include them in the blog listing is to put them in one of the blog
categories. Then I list my entries by creation time ("order=-ctime" in
the (:pagelist:) code) on each blog listing page (like the homepage).

There are a few advantages to this approach. One is that the blogs pull
entries from all of the groups. I work with a few organizations so I
have some groups that are private to everybody but members of those
groups. But if pages in those groups are in the blog categories, then
those entries will show up on the homepage blog listing -- but only for
members who are logged in. So it's like an automatically customized blog
for each of the groups I work with.

I'm also not locked into any one blog recipe. My posts are all just
ordinary wiki pages.

The main thing I'm missing is a good RPC interface. I tried an XML/RPC
script some time back but couldn't get it to work and gave up. If pmwiki
were compatible with the wordpress api or the blogger api, then I could
even post to my blog from other websites, as well as a blog manager. To
me, that's the missing link in the pmwiki-blog puzzle. Any takers?

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andy Kaplan-Myrth, LL.B., M.A.