[pmwiki-users] Speed up PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 14 21:12:33 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 09:49:14AM +0800, Martin Spindler wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >This is effectively what PmWiki's built-in caching mechanism does --
> >any change to any page invalidates the cached versions of the
> >pages.  (It doesn't delete them... but then it doesn't need to.)
> >
> But PmWiki isn't bypassed in the built-in caching, is it? I think the
> huge performance gain Thomas was talking about mostly comes from
> avoiding to call PmWiki whenever it is possible.

Correct, PmWiki isn't bypassed in the built-in caching.  The part
that was confusing me was that in PITS.00966 the code was saving
only the results of MarkupToHTML(), and not any of the skin
surrounding it.  But Thomas has since clarified that he's
actually capturing the result of the PrintFmt() call, and
not simply MarkupToHTML().  That makes more sense to me, and
explains how one could bypass pmwiki.php in that case.

I'm thinking I may extend $EnableHTML to also cache the
complete HTML output so that it can be grabbed via a
rewrite rule, but try to do it a bit smartly with respect
to other items (e.g., non-cacheable markups, permissions, etc.).