[pmwiki-users] .htaccess redirect help

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Aug 5 16:56:24 CDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 01:17:18PM -0400, isherr at fes.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
> Hey everyone.
> I have a little problem I hope someone can help me solve.
> Simply put, the majority of my website is based on pmwiki, but because
> of the subdirectories involved, is found at this address:
>
> http://vinylagain.com/pmwiki/pmwiki/pmwiki.php
>
> Meanwhile, I have a simple "welcome" page that welcomes users to the
> site and lets them manually redirect themselves to the wiki, which
> lives here:
>
> http://www.vinylagain.com
>
> I've been trying to write an .htaccess file for my root directory to
> redirect users to the longer wiki url, but nothing seems to work.

I must admit I solved that problem for one of my sites in a simpler way.
Rather than using .htaccess, I made an "index.cgi" which redirected
people to the wiki.

As follows:
#!/bin/bash
# Redirect users to the Wiki

cat <<EOF

<head>
<title>Moved Home Page</title>
</head>
<h1>We've Moved</h1>
EOF

> 2. Is it even possible to redirect users to the wiki? Would the fact
> that the wiki is run from php scripts affect its redirect? Basically,
> can one only redirect to .html pages, or .php scripts, too? Further,
> could I leave the new address as above (/pmwiki.php) or do I need to
> specify a page within the wiki (/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage)?

I use CleanUrls also, so I just redirected to /wiki/.

Kathryn Andersen