[pmwiki-users] Why all this zapping?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Apr 30 10:05:36 CDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Monday, April 30, 2007, 11:37:49 AM, The wrote:
>
> I like to dissuade any contributing author on pmwiki.org to use more
> than one Profile name, purely for the sake of avoiding confusion.

I've noticed programmers tend to take themselves a bit too seriously
at times.  Poking in a bit of fun here and there might not be so bad
at times.

> As for the recipe name change, which Dan did not address in his reply
> to Kathryn, unless you accept a reference as an argument, I wrote and
> write again, because I don't believe in white-washing history:

As I've also explained before, I would not have made the change for
ANY page listing if it did not seem so wonderfully appropriate. The
truth is, as long as ZAP continues to be associated with the
unreliable, back-firing, bug-ridden contraptions Wile E Coyote managed
to get repeatedly from ACME, the name should stick, as a caution to
others considering its use.

> The naming confusion will remain with us, unless the Acme cookbook
> page gets renamed back to ZAP, as this is apparently the true name of
> the script, as it is referred to on zapsite as ZAP, and internally
> named as ZAP etc.

The redirect on the old ZAP page does help some with this otherwise
seemingly insurmountable confusion.  : )

Cheers,
Dan