[pmwiki-users] Why all this zapping?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 30 03:03:14 CDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 09:39:29AM +0200, kjettil wrote:
> On http://www.fast.st/zapbeta/index.php?n=Support-Engine/HomePage one
> can read that a "ZAPWIKI" is "coming soon"! The site tells that
> "ZAPWIKI" is "/not designed to be a replacement for PmWiki/". Is it to
> become a "lean competitor" to PmWiki, or what is the purpose of this new
> wiki software?
>
> In the Cookbook, you find that  "ZAP" is now called "Acme", for some
> reason (see above?). There are still some "pure ZAP" pages, such as ZAP
> Business Directory (which btw doesn't at all fits the Cookbook
> structure).  Will "Acme" develop independently of "ZAP", or will it be
> the "PmWiki version" of "ZAP" in "ZAPWIKI"?
>
> The above situation is confusing (as is e.g the Hg vs Cluster case).
> PmWiki is a powerful and stable web site engine, with a huge set of
> useful extensions. It's a pity if confusion would be created about its
> future.

My understanding is that Dan renamed ZAP to Acme simply because he
wanted to appear first in all the lists in the Cookbook, rather than
letting ZAP stand on its own merits.  You are not the first person to
point out that this is confusing, and you probably won't be the last,
because Dan is not listening to the suggestions to revert the name back
to ZAP.

As for Hg versus Cluster, I know I am partly to blame for this, for
having created Cluster in the first place.  However, I vaguely recall
that Dan recently said he wasn't interested in mainting Hg any more.  Is
this correct?  If so, maybe we could clean up the confusion by factoring
out the differences between Hg and Cluster so that they aren't so
similar any more.

Kathryn Andersen