[pmwiki-users] Templates for other actions (was: PmWiki questions...)

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Wed Apr 25 10:23:51 CDT 2007

Pm replied to Dan,
>> 3) I'm wondering with the new forms processing system Pm is
>> > developing, just how flexible the following syntax is:
>> >
>> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimpleRating?action=edit&editform=Cookbook.RecipeInfoForm
>> >
>> > That is, can it be used with other actions or only edit? More
>> > importantly, can it work with ZAP forms?
>
> Since I don't understand all of the ins-and-outs of ZAP forms,
> I can't say what will happen.  All that happens with the editform=
> parameter is that PmWiki uses the specified page instead of
> Site.EditForm .

I've been using ZAP forms as EditForms for a couple months now, and they
work great, but I'm looking forward to being able to use the standard
Preview and Save and Edit features as well (not to mention Save Draft!),
once the new form-processing system becomes part of the core.  Right now
that's the main limitation: you can only Save; Save and Edit is not an
option because the ZAP form sets action=zap instead of action=edit.

It seems to me that an EditForm works very much like a GroupHeader or
GroupFooter, though I haven't looked into the workings closely enough to
see if they're processed exactly the same way.  If that's the case, then
the mechanism being used in ?editform=Group.Page could be generalized to
something like ?template=Group.Page that would work with any action, not
just edit.  For example,
http://example.com/pmwiki/Group/Page?action=print&template=Group.PrintTemplate
would format pages in Group differently for printing than the rest of
the site.

You could then have default template locations for each action, so that
if there is no Group.EditForm, Site.EditForm will be used, and if
there's no Group.LocalTemplates then Site.LocalTemplates will be used,
and so on, much like we can currently do with GroupHeaders and
GroupFooters.  Then if you wanted to use the default template for an
action, you wouldn't have to specify the template in the link; you could
just go ahead and say ?action=print and the proper template would be
used.  --Ben