[pmwiki-users] Spam

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 04:16:05 CDT 2007

Sunday, April 22, 2007, 8:24:02 AM, Mark wrote:

> I have nothing password protected as I wanted to have to open to other
> schools and people to develop a specific knowledge base for the subject. Do
> I now have to pwd protect?

> Was it a bot or some vandal?

> http://www.ruthtrumpold.id.au/designtech/pmwiki.php if you go tot he history
> you will see the stuff that was posted.

> If it was a bot then is there a 'catcha' recipe or like the like that one
> has to put in a string of letters in an image to post.

I don't know if it was a bot or biped.
http://ip-lookup.net/index.php can give you info.
Seems to point to a guy in Moscow. You can phone him!!

As to open doors: Do use a sitewide edit password. Have it displayed
with some info on your home page. This will provide a locked door with
the key visible, so people can enter and edit pages. Bots will most
likely not know what to do and turn away. But it won't fool a link
spammer spamming manually.

  ~Hans