[pmwiki-users] MarkupExpressionsExtensions

Sandy pmwiki at onebit.ca
Mon Apr 16 13:03:53 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:28:30AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > Sunday, April 15, 2007, 10:41:08 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > > (which is why PHP calls its variable $_SERVER).
> >
> > Is there a need for a {(server ...)} markup expression?
>
> I don't see a need for a {(server ...)} markup expression, which is
> why the core doesn't include it.    I was simply remarking that
> if a recipe was going to provide one, it would be better to use
> the HTTP protocol names instead of introducing aliases.
>
> I totally agree that page variables would be more appropriate
> and consistent.
>
> > Or are the markup expressions made available a backdoor to introduce
> > pure PHP, and Apache, terminology? A geek's powertool box in other
> > words, only for the initiated?

I prefer using the same vocab as the CGI interface, mainly because it's one less
vocabulary to learn. Neutral on page variable vs markup.

Having said that, the only need I have at the moment for knowing the browser is
JavaScript: navigator.appName and navigator.appVersion. So ... so much for
standard terms.

Looks like the best bet is to pick one set and be consistent, and include the
rest of the terms in the documentation.

Security considerations? Would any of the $_SERVER variables give away
information best kept private?

Also, back-of-the-mind stuff, what about the other predefined variables?

Sandy