[pmwiki-users] prepending comment posts

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 15 16:24:19 CDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 09:42:27PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Saturday, April 14, 2007, 3:14:00 PM, Patrick wrote:
> I don't know what you mean by
>
> > at the
> > possible expense of causing the history to display oddly when
> > content with common markers is added to the end of a page
>
> I don't know what common markers you mean, and what kind of odd
> display. So I don't know how serious this can be.

Common markers would be things that occur multiple times within
a page, such as ">>frame<<" and ">><<".  In one of my earlier
messages, I noted that prepending would produce a diff that
looked like

    this is post 2
    >><<

    >>frame<<

instead of

    >>frame<<
    this is post 2
    >><<

Here, ">>frame<<" and ">><<" occur multiple times throughout the
page, so the diff algorithm has a choice as to which one is the
"added" one.

With the change I just made, PmWiki will tend to bias towards the
earlier one instead of the later one.  Thus, if appending something
to a page, the algorithm will now tend to choose

    >><<

    >>frame<<
    this is post 2

instead of

    >>frame<<
    this is post 2
    >><<

But this probably makes more sense, since ending markers have
less of an effect on subsequent text than starting markers.

> Otherwise it looks really good, and hope it can be adopted.

Now released in beta43.