[pmwiki-users] prepending comment posts

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Apr 13 18:18:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:07:37PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> I just tidied up a comments page with about 60 mostly single line
> comments, being posted with  a comment form.
> The page file was 1.15 Mb in size!
>
> This happens because posts are prepended, latest goes on top, and all
> other posts (i.e. divs) shift down. The page history records every
> single one of the shifts, so records the entire page twice for every
> new post added.
>
> I know we talked about this before, and there was no solution then.

But after doing a little research I may have a solution now.  :-)

I stumbled upon a really good optimization for the diff code
that I -think- will completely eliminate the problem you're having.
It will also result in much faster diff computations and use
a lot less memory for typical posts.

I've implemented the new algorithm at

    http://www.pmwiki.org/sandbox/diff/pmwiki.php

Could you do some tests there and see if things are
improved?  If you need me to install a recipe or two to
help with testing I can probably do that.

Thanks!