[pmwiki-users] Custom Markup return?

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:40:51 CDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Fredrik <fredrik at jumans.net> wrote:
[...]
> Returning pure html works as it seems but also returning some wikimarkup
> also works as [[links]] etc so should I focus on returning pure wikicode or
> pure htmlcode?

As Pm said, whatever works. However, I would like to suggest a reason
why to let PmWiki handle the markup. The first cause is uniformity. If
PmWiki handles the markup, then you can assume that everything will
look the same---especially true of links, which include classes for
internal and external links, non-existent pages, etc.

The second is in many cases a recipe will grow and be published to
Cookbook. When that happens, you'll find others who want certain
modifications to the output. The easiest way to do this is create a
template using SDV() and use markup (which is typically more compact
than HTML). As a harmless example, I avoid using <h1> in pages (the
page title is the only <h1>), but use <h2> instead. By using wiki
markup, then, your recipe becomes more flexible.

YMMV.

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill