[pmwiki-users] UTF-8 case insensitive index (was: UTF-8 as core default encoding)

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 02:23:50 CDT 2007

On Friday 06 April 2007 09:04, Athan wrote:
> "Petko Yotov" <5ko at free.fr> wrote in message
> news:200704052031.33527.5ko at free.fr...
>
> > Not yet.
> > To see what Patrick's been working on you can visit this page:
> >  http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ChangeLog
>
> I'm monitoring this page since its very first entries :)
> Unfortunately none of these features/bug fixes is mentioned there. I'm not
> complaining, but some of them (utf8 case insensitive searches, blog support
> etc) were supposed to be implemented months ago.

Nothing is "supposed to be implemented months ago" in an open source free
project, if you need it, write it yourself or hire someone to write it for
you.

Patrick has other priorities as not many sites are using UTF-8, while speeding
up PageLists, what he does now will benefit to many sites. While I use almost
exclusively UTF-8 and would also like to have case-insensitive index in the
core, I'd be happy if it were possible to customize such a thing with a
recipe (currently, unlike other PmWiki features, this one is hardcoded in
PageIndexTerms[1] and cannot be easily changed).

However, we aslo found that the whole xlpage-utf-8.php script can be greatly
improved for sites running on PHP 4.4.0 or 5.1.0 and newer so it is a good
thing to move both features together.

Petko

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/39835/