[pmwiki-users] categories in pagelist

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Apr 2 14:16:37 CDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 08:55:35PM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Monday 02 April 2007 19:29, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 04:35:38PM +0000, J. Meijer wrote:
> > >    On 4/1/07, Petko Yotov <5ko at free.fr> wrote:
> > >      Currently we can not search for more than one page in the "link="
> > >      parameter,
> > >      so in the third example "link=Cat1,Cat2" is just ignored. It would
> > > be really
> > >      nice though, Patrick, if that became possible (also with
> > >      negatives "link=Cat1,-Cat2").
> >
> > Just checking...  do you want "link=Cat1,Cat2" to mean "all pages with
> > links to either Cat1 or Cat2" or "all pages with links to both Cat1 and
> > Cat2"?
>
> Thanks Patrick. I always thought that this should behave like the word match
> filter, so, "link=Cat1,Cat2" to mean "all pages with links to both Cat1 and
> Cat2".

I think this is inconsistent with the other filters -- consider

    1.  group=PmWiki,Site
    2.  name=Test*,XYZ*
    3.  $:Status=open,closed,pending

We expect these to mean

    1.  pages in either the PmWiki or Site groups
    2.  pages that begin with either "Test" or "XYZ"
    3.  pages with $:Status of open, closed, or pending

Thus, to be consistent with the above, I would think that "link=Cat1,Cat2"
should mean "pages with links to either Cat1 or Cat2".

> I thought at one point that it may be possible to use "+Cat1" for
> required and "Cat1" for optional, but it brings more trouble than solutions.

Actually, this is the approach I'm currently working on, so that

    link=+Cat1,+Cat2           # pages with links to both Cat1 and Cat2
    link=Cat1,Cat2             # pages with links to Cat1 or Cat2
    link=Cat1,Cat2,+Cat3       # pages with links to Cat3 and (Cat1 or Cat2)

But it's not completely trivial to implement.

>   For me what is absolutely essential is the speed of a pagelist,
>   so I prefer to only use .pageindex and not open every file for
>   inspection unless impossible (so: no PageTextVar search for now).
>
> > >    I believe this can be turned into a recipy after recent pagelist.php
> > >    refactorings.
>
> Yes, or if it were possible to define custom parameters like:
>   myfunction=something
> like it is currently possible to have a "list=" and "order=" custom
> parameters.

The new pagelist code in 2.2.0 does allow custom parameters, sources,
and filters.