[pmwiki-users] CleanURL

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 1 09:46:03 CDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:29:24AM -0400, DaveG wrote:
> Thanks both for the descriptions, that clears things up. It didn't occur
> to me that group names must start with some kind of capital character.
>
> It's worth noting that this pattern would then fail to extract the
> group/page if any other part of the URL contained a capital (i.e., if PM
> wiki was installed under a directory "PMWiki" for instance).

It should work fine even in this case, as the point at which the
matching begins is controlled by the RewriteBase parameter.
And the RewriteRule is given as

where the initial "^" constrains the match to the beginning of
the path.

Thus, if RewriteBase is set to /PMWiki, then whatever comes
after that will be the part that is used in the RewriteCond
test, and the only thing that is tested is the first character
(not "any other part of the URL").