[pmwiki-users] SelectQuery development: database records as pages?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 29 19:42:36 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:29:36PM -0500, Ben Stallings wrote:
> * Both SelectQuery/UpdateForm and FASTData attempt to be general-purpose
> recipes, but their development was driven by specific applications, so
> they have many tacked-on features that, while tremendously useful in the
> original context, may be distracting to people with more modest
> ambitions.  The main thing I hope to accomplish by starting over is to
> get back to simple, straightforward functionality: you have a database
> and a wiki; you install the recipe; now you have a front-end for the
> database.  Bells and whistles optional.  The extra features are slick,
> but they're not very thoroughly documented and so are a little
> intimidating... maybe they should even be separate recipes, if possible.

Yes, please!
I find FASTData, from what has been said about it, to have far too many
bells and whistles.  I don't *want* something that contains everything
but the kitchen sink.  Every time another feature is announced for
FASTData, I cringe.

But having something that can act as an easy portal to a database (even
better if it is database-agnostic, since I tend to use SQLite rather
than MySQL for website databases) that could use the power of the
database for selecting and sorting, but the convenience of pagelist
templates for formatting its records, that would be great!

Kathryn Andersen