[pmwiki-users] field admin permissions oddness

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 29 14:29:07 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 08:24:04PM +0100, marc wrote:
> Quick follow up.
>
> The log out is happening due to PmWiki generating two session cookies:
> one for the FQDN and one for 'localhost'.

It's not PmWiki doing it -- it's the browser.  The browser thinks
that 'localhost' and FQDN are two separate hosts, therefore it
won't send the cookies created under localhost to the FQDN (and
vice versa).

Similarly, if there are two wikis on a farm that share the same
FQDN, then PHP will treat them as sharing a common session.  This
is why the session_name() approach mentioned in my previous email
works -- it tells the browser to use a different session cookie
for each wiki instance, even though they're on the same FQDN.