[pmwiki-users] Newsletter management

kjettil kjettil at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 28 14:55:53 CDT 2006

Thanks Crisses and Caveman for your comments and suggestions.

The Editor wrote:
> In a recent revision of FAST Data, I rewrote its emailing code to give
> it basic mail list capabilities.  Unfortunately I have not had time to
> test and thoroughly debug it.
[..]
> But, it might just work perfectly for you as is, and the basic
> documentation is all up if you read carefully.  Give it a try and let
> me know what happens.  Also if you give me more spec's on how you want
> it to work, I'll give you some pointers on how to do it, or consider
> changing the recipe if it can't do it.
Coming back, I've had a look at FAST Data, but could not find out how to
adapt it to my needs. I also reviewed a few third party OS solutions,
including Koops, but they seem to address a different situation
(individuals subscribing to a newslist).
> So anyway, if you can wait a couple weeks, FAST Data should be able to
> get you taken care of. I'll be happy to work with you.
As I don't seem to be able to progress much on my own, I'd be most happy
to accept your offer and to provide you with any further details you
may need.

(From a different thread ("Meeting?Drupal?") I conclude that Stirling
has a similar, if not identical, need to address.)
> On 9/23/06, kjettil <kjettil at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> Crisses wrote:
>> pages
>>
>> > If so, you could use the new FASTData recipe to grab the variable and
>> > toss the information into an email....??  Caveman will have to talk
>> > about that I think.
The situation is probably rather typical of many small not-for-profit
associations (cf. Stirling's club):
The association needs a web site, to communicate with its members and to
solicit new members.

PmWiki is an excellent solution to build in such cases. You may get a
site, with wiki facilities (collaboration and distributed editing),
blog, calendar, simple forum, guestbook and "static page" facilities
(and much more) and with a nice skin developed for it, up and running
within days, if not hours.

One of the solutions so far missing (as recipe) is membership
management, including newsletter management.  For a site I'm in my spare
time setting up for a small riding club, I'd need such a solution.

kjettil